Friday, May 30, 2008

The rest of the story Ch. 4

As our eyes met, I could tell that our meeting was as big of a surprise to the killer as it was to me. Silence fell over the both of us as neither of us knew what to say or do. The killer was the first to break the silence. He looked at me and asked me what I was doing there. I didn't say anything as I tried to slowly slide my new gun behind my back hoping he wouldn't recognise it. As I slid my gun behind my back I almost automatically cocked the hammer. I remembered being impressed at how smooth the action felt. I watched the eyes of the killer as he looked at the gun that I was trying to hide.
"Wher'd you get that gun boy!" the killer yelled to me. His voice was raspy and deep. I didn't say anything. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't run, I couldn't say anything. As the killer took a step towards me I felt a familiar warm sensation running down the side of my leg. That warm sensation brought back the vision of the man shooting the other man in the back and then in the side of the head and I realised that I was next. Almost instinctively I raised the gun towards the man as he took another step closer. I still couldn't say anything. The man took another step and I pulled the trigger. Click, Nothing. I realised that I had hit the empty part of the cylinder. I cocked the hammer again. I noticed that the man didn't even flinch during the first trigger pull. By the time I had the gun aimed at his head again he was 5 feet away from me. Click. I pulled the trigger again and still nothing. As I lowered the gun a little to cock the hammer again I noticed the man was right on me and before I knew it I had the cocked pistol pressed against the mans lips. Without thinking I pulled the trigger for the third time. This time there was no click just a, "pathump." The mans body went limp but the forward momentum of the man knocked me down as his body landed on my legs. I looked down at the man as I cocked the pistol again a realised that I wouldn't need another round. There was a hole in the back of the mans head about the size of a silver dollar. There were bits of bone, skull, brains, hair, and what looked like pieces of his teeth inside his oozing head. I scrambled trying to free my legs to stand up. As I kicked myself free, one of my cowboy boots slid off and stayed stuck under the man.
I stood up marvelling at the scene. It all seemed like a dream as I looked around. I looked at the dead man and the blood that was collecting on the ground where his head lay. I looked at my pants. Not only were my pants wet from pissing myself but my whole right thigh was covered with blood. I stood there with one boot on and the other with just a sock on. It didn't take me long to turn my head and begin puking. As I puked reality hit and it hit hard, and I began crying. I stood up and took another look at the scene. I had killed a man. What did that mean? I didn't know what to do. I couldn't tell anyone. It was self defense wasn't it? Wouldn't he have killed me if I hadn't killed him? What would my mom say? What would my dad do? What did God think?
I had all kinds of questions running through my mind but the fact of the matter was that I skipped church to steel a gun and ended up killing an un-armed man. A man that I had I had watched kill another man and didn't say anything about. There wasn't anyone in the world who would believe my story. I picked up a rock and began digging a new hole.
I dug the hole about 15 ft away from the man so I wouldn't have to look at him. A couple of times I looked up to make sure he wasn't going to stand up and come after me. He wasn't going anywhere.
After nearly two hours of digging I had a hole about 6 foot long by three feet wide by 3 feet deep. The hole was pretty impressive and my hands were paying for it. I had some pretty serious blisters forming on the palms of both hands. I stood up and noticed that my pants had dried and the dry blood made the pant leg stiff as I walked with it. I walked over to the man and grabbed him by the boots and began to try and drag him. It felt like dragging a dead deer but heavier. I tried not to look at the back of his head but he laid face down and it was impossible not to. About midway into the drag I stopped to take a breath and noticed a leather wallet hanging partially out of his back pocket. I reached down and pulled it out. The wallet felt heavy and I told myself no matter how much money was in it I wouldn't take it. I couldn't.
As I opened the wallet my heart sunk as I saw a small round circle with some engravings and a star in the middle. My breathing became fast and uncontrollable. A lawman? I had killed a lawman? I looked around to see if anyone saw what I had seen and quickly threw the wallet into the hole. I noticed that my boot was still laying on the ground where the man had laid so I grabbed it and put it back on. A sick feeling came to me as I slid the boot on. The boot was still warm and I knew what had kept it warm. I walked back over and grabbed the man again by the boots and drug his body into the hole. I pushed his arms and legs into the hole and began kicking the dirt onto the man just as I had seen the man in the hole do it a few days before that. After a second I stopped grabbed my new gun and threw it on top of the body and continued kicking the dirt in.
After about a foot of cover with the dirt. I piled large stones on top of the dirt and the man until the hole was filled, kicked more dirt on top of the rocks and then grabbed more rocks to stack on top.
When I was finished I grabbed a couple of dead sticks from a nearby juniper tree and threw them on top of the grave to make it not look so obvious. I then kicked dirt over the top of the puddle of blood to cover it up."

2 comments:

Clanturner said...

more more more!!! I can't wait!

Johnny Wright said...

Seriously, you're a full fledged YBNBY phenomenon. Hope you're having a good time.

Now excuse me, I need to write another column about monkeys.