Friday, September 5, 2008

Shazam.

Well, crap.
I haven't blogged for a while and when I blog the blogs have been few and far between.
At one point and time I really enjoyed blogging but as of recent I have found it somewhat of more of hassle to blog than something fun.
I think the blogs that I have thrown out lately have been somewhat boring and have even found myself bored of what I have written.
I don't think it is for lack of inspiration due to the fact that my mind is something of a rubber room full of hyperactive nut jobs just bouncing around and throwing out wild tales of nothingness.
But I guess it is due to almost feeling like I am just wasting my time.
I have found myself just writing things down to have them written just in case I were to loose my mind and forget them.
I don't keep a journal, and when I have kept one in the past I have been glad that I have it.
I guess the blog has been kind of a journal or something. I think if my grand kid's, grand kid's ever read this crap they would positively know of the dementia that I am suffering from.
Something that I have hoped to have shared with my readers.
I know that I have a few faithful readers with and emphasis on the word 'few".
I think as time has passed and my blog has morphed from somewhat entertaining to down right boring my readers have almost become non-existent.
I guess that when a writer becomes non-existent his readers more than likely follow.

When I was in seventh grade, I sat by a red headed kid named Jake. We didn't hate each other, or even not get along.
Jake was bigger than I was, and slightly overweight.
One day, while sitting in class, I was being my usual cocky self, and was explaining to Jake how tough I was.
Jake listened and told me that I may be tough but he was tougher. I kind of laughed and thought he was joking. After a minute I realised that Jake really thought he was tougher than me.
I told Jake that he wouldn't have a chance in a fight with me, and he continued to disagree.
My friend Cory that sat in front of me, turned around and with a smile threw out the suggestion that Jake and I fight in the hall at the next break.
Not to be outdone by each other, Jake and I agreed to fight at the next break, which was in about ten minutes.
I wasn't mad at Jake, and he wasn't mad at me. We were just two boys that felt the need to lock horns and establish dominance.
I watched the clock as it ticked away and didn't feel nervous or scared. I looked over at Jake and could tell that he didn't feel nervous or scared either.
In my mind I thought about what I would do and how I would do it. I thought about where I would punch and how I would punch. I thought about what I was trying to accomplish.
I decided that this was a real fight and anything would go. I also decided that I would direct all punches to Jake's face.
I didn't want to loose, and I wanted to make sure of that.
As the break bell rang, we all got out of our seats and walked out in the hall. I walked to the old stand up drinking fountain and got a drink, only to hear Jake's voice say:"I'm waiting".
I knew that was my cue, and that Jake was serious.
I walked towards Jake, with my adrenalin flowing.
A crowd began to form, and I knew it was business. I thought of other fights that I had in the past, and due to my wrestling nature, a lot of the fights had ended up on the ground. Though I felt that I had dominated the fight, those unfamiliar with wresting sometimes had room to question who won.
I would keep this fight on my feet.
As I walked towards Jake my hands came up in striking position. He took a step forward and decide his first move would be to push me.
Immediately as I felt his push I threw a left jab which landed squarely on his kisser, followed up by a hard right that landed in the same spot.
In his eyes I saw rage flaring up as he recovered and came for me a second time.
He must have felt the push was effective so he tried it again. I followed up with another left to the mouth being chased by a hard right that landed on the soft spot between his nose and upper lip. I knew the right was a great punch because not only did his eyes begin to water but a little blood began to trickle from his mouth.
Jake, in a wild rage came back for another shove only to be answered by another 1-2 punch again hitting his mouth.
I could see the tears in Jake's eyes were becoming more serious and as he tried to smile it away, the spaces in his white teeth were slowly filling with blood.
I was oblivious to the crowd that was around us and strangely enough didn't feel any rage or anger in this fight, just a collected boy doing his business.
Jake came back for one final shove. I remember thinking, why the hell doesn't he punch, doesn't he see that the shoves are doing nothing?
His final shove was answered once again by a well placed left jab to the mouth followed by one hard right punch to the chin.
Following my punch I heard "DAVID RIDDLE WHAT ARE YOU DOING!"
I turned to see my teacher Mrs. Fotheringham walking towards us.
I dropped my hands, and so did Jake.
Mrs. Fotheringham took us both back into the classroom and into her office.
I tried to turn on the best charm that I had, and explained that we just had little fight and that we were sorry.
It must have worked because she gave us a little speech and sent us to our desks. No principal, no trouble, just no breaks for 3 days.
As Jake and I sat down in our desks Jake looked at me and complimented me on my punches, and I complimented him on his shoves and It was over. I told him I was sorry and he said the same.
There was never any bitterness after that.
Later as I thought about the fight, though I had clearly won, and my status was elevated among the other 7th graders, I realised that the fight was rather pointless. There were a few times that I thought of Jake's bleeding mouth and felt bad, and after carefully weighing out the situation, I came to the conclusion that the fight was a waste of my time.

I'm kind of wondering if my blogging is just a waste of my time.

4 comments:

MiandMiksmom said...

You are back! Your blogging is not a waste of time. It's a great way to journal, reminisce, remember current stuff and entertain...and when you write as well as you do and have those crazy stories to tell, you cannot give it up!

I'm glad you didn't really hurt that kid. Why in the world did he shove and not punch? I'm actually trying to teach my five year old to shove and quit punching, but secretly..I'm kind of proud, especially because that left handed jab is kind of unexpected.

Chellie said...

You might as well blog.. I'm sure there is nothing else to do in Sheridan. :)

Anonymous said...

I thought you were Mr. Outdoors? Where is the pic and blog of the Elk you have scouted? Where is the pic of those Bass in the Tongue River that you caught on a fly rod?
Better get with the program, dude!
BTW, is our suite fixed yet from the tornado?

Anonymous said...

Dave, How come I have never heard of this fight? I love you
MOM