Friday, May 18, 2007

Cops and Chinese food

Last night we went out to dinner with some friends. They were moving away and we wanted to have a nice goodbye dinner. So we went to a nice restaurant in fact down right fancy. I won't say the name of this classy establishment because they aren't paying me to advertise so I won't be their money vehicle. I will just say that the food had something to do with Chinese and a Buffet.
We met our friends at this fancy eatery. Pulled into a parking lot full of people and cars that would give Jeff Foxworthy enough redneck material to retire on. We exited our car and walked into a buffet paradise. I mean we are talking an assortment of magically glazed chicken and pork treats covered in specially aged, red, sticky, sweet and sour sauce. It was like walking into Disneyland, every one was happy. Big people, bigger people and even bigger people. Little dirty kids trying their darnedest to dip the community Ice cream scoop to get the perfect scoop of cream with the most amount of bubble gum or cookie dough only to end their ice cream excavation with a big lick on the community scooper.
I started my meal off with vintage 1994 crab legs caught of the coast of Mexico with a side of Jalapeno chicken flavored feline. That didn't quite hit the spot so I went back for more of the soft-shelled crab mush. This time changing the side dish to General Cho's Hot puppy parts topped off with something that was in a shrimp shape and was called breaded shrimp but one could make the argument that it was something else. After I polished off this tasty plate my stomach gave a warning rumble telling me to stop. I pushed it away and went back for a little desert and (of course) a little more time ripened crab. By the time I finished, my stomach was no longer giving warning rumbles, it submitted itself to a slow bubbling. I knew that I must get home fast. The problem was however, this was a "going away" dinner so we had to say our goodbyes to our friends. The goodbye episode lasted for about 30 minutes in the parking lot. By this time my stomach was at a full boil and I knew that I must get home fast. As we jumped into my wife's SUV, My boy began to cry. He wanted home too. So I practically jumped on the gas. We live about ten miles out of town so I knew that I must hurry. The ride on the paved road went smoothly it was the gravel road that didn't. I normally take the gravel road quite fast so thought nothing of driving the two miles of dirt posted at 30 mph at a brisk 45. As we rounded the turn about mid-way I passed a sheriff who flipped on his lights and pulled us over. About the time that I wanted My boy to start crying to show the cop why I was speeding, my baby fell asleep. The Cop came up to the window I thought of every excuse in the book. But every excuse that I could think of that I had been successful in executing in the past would have been a lie. And as much as I dis-like cops, I didn't feel like lying. So I became the nicest man in Wyoming. The Cop in turn was also rather friendly. I tried to explain that the sleeping baby in back was crying. I almost told him of my over-excited bowels but it was too late. Before I knew it smokey was nicely handing me a 110 dollar ticket. Deep inside I wanted to get out of my car and beat this guy down. But he was too nice and I didn't want to seem phony so I stayed nice. The kicker of all kickers was when he handed me the ticket Sir Francis Bacon said: "well, I hope you have a better night". I, in my thoughtless-need to get home-"crap I got a ticket" mindset. Said "thanks, you have a nice day to sir". Why would I tell him thanks? The guy just gave me a ticket. I am sick to my self, not for the ticket but for the fact that I told the guy thanks. After the ticket incident I did make it home without an automobile accident or an unmentionable accident. So that leads me to the question. Should I have lied to get out of the ticket? I really think that I could have gotten out of the ticket. I know that lying is one of the big ten that I've gotta keep. But Loving my neighbor is a bigger of the big ten. I know that I should do both, but knowing my nature I know that It is hard for me to not dislike a cop for giving me a ticket. That leads me to another question. Is a cop considered my neighbor? Being familiar with the story of the good Samaritan I will have to say that the cop is my neighbor. So copper, if you are reading this. I forgive you for doing your job. I forgive you for choosing a profession that makes you deal a majority of negative aspects. I forgive you for taking food off of my table by writing a pointless ticket. I hope you forgive me for wanting to punch you in the jaw really really hard and then drop elbows repeatedly into your nose. I am sure that you are a nice guy when you are not a cop.

No comments: