Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Engineers

Have you ever read a good John Grisham book? Have you ever noticed that when you read a good lawyer book you come off with a "I want to be a lawyer" high? I guess I wont limit this to books or just lawyers. What about a doctor ever watched ER or Greys anatomy and want to be a doctor or a surgeon? Or have you ever watched shows like CSI or law and order and wanted to be like that?

Have you ever noticed that there are no good books, movies or television shows about engineers? I think the closest character to an engineer was Mike Brady of the Brady Bunch, he was an architect (the lower paid counterpart to an engineer) and rarely did his job play into any major plots of the show.

This morning as I stood sleepily in the shower, slowly preparing for my day as an engineer, I reflected on this notion, and tried to think up a scandalous engineering story line. Perhaps I could be the "John Grisham" to the Engineering world.

I could write about Jerry the Engineer, mad at the world specifically the Department of Transportation. Jerry decided that he had had enough and the DOT had it coming. He would design his 5 mile highway reconstruction project to use concrete reinforced sub-base. A practice that had long been abandoned because of the eventual, even perpendicular cracking that would that would possibly cause a slight discomfort to her travelers. He would show the DOT They may not notice the damage he would cause now but in ten years they would see, oh yes they would see......

Or maybe I could write about John the rebellious engineer that decided to surf the Internet all day because his boss was out of town on other business.

As you can see, I have my work cut out for me. I guess Engineering is a good business to stay out of trouble. I think that it would be pretty tough to drum-up scandal in any engineering firm.

I don't think that I could even write about some scandalous romance in an Engineering firm because the fact of the matter is the profession is a large majority of male workers and the female part of the work force is well.. Lets just say would not make the cover of any romance novels (that is of course speaking of the profession's women collectively not individually).

I guess the moral of the story is: If you want to stay out of trouble become an engineer, you really don't have much of a choice. Engineering is a profession that allows you to make other aspects of your life interesting. It allows you to focus on God, Family, hunting and fishing. It practically forces you to focus on other things. Which is good. Who wants to focus on their job all of the time. I don't think that life was meant for us to just wake up every day, go to work, go to bed, go to work and so on.

You may never see the novel titled "Cracks in the Pavement By Dave Riddle" Sitting on the shelf at Wal-mart or Barnes and Noble. Most importantly, I hope you will never see an novel titled "Dave Riddle the deadbeat Dad, Husband and Person".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DAVE! READ DILBERT. I swear it will change your life. I know it's no novel, but it's gooood.

Dave Riddle said...

I think that my short attention span will allow a little quality Dilbert reading. I'll have to "Dil" up.