Tuesday, April 17, 2007

This couldn't have happened at my school.

In the wake of the tragedy in Virginia my heart goes out to the students, faculty and family's of those who lost loved ones to the mindless slaughter at Virginia Tech. With that said, I want to make the statement:

That wouldn't have happened in my school.

Now that may sound shallow and without substance but I would like to explain why.

After all of the finger pointing the big finger will be pointed at gun culture, calling for stricter gun control laws. Laws to ban Assault rifles, Pistols, High Capacity magazines, types of bullets etc. I can already hear Hillary Clinton, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson building up political army's to attack Chain and Lock companies for making locks that the assailant used to bind the doors to keep captured students from escaping. WE MUST REGULATE CHAINS AND MASTER LOCKS! Even regulate the backpack companies that make it possible to conceal weapons. While we are at it, I think that whoever made the shoes for this animal should be regulated. Guns... well we new all along that they would be a problem.

Virginia Tech's gun policy did not allow students to have guns on campus. Even if a person was licenced to carry a concealed weapon.

In my school the gun policy let students who were licenced to carry concealed weapons to carry a firearm on campus. In fact, I could walk into any given class and know that at least two classmates were carrying a concealed firearms. Being part of the gun culture knew this because they were usually my friends. The Student carrying guns were not freak shows, they were responsible citizens that after a FBI back ground check were deemed by the government responsible to carry concealed weapons. I would on occasion shoot guns with the mentioned people and I came to the conclusion that if a person was serious enough to take the time to apply for a concealed permit that person was not only quite competent with a weapon but responsible enough to follow the proper channels of legality. The point that I am trying to make is that these concealed weapon holders; when they strapped on their guns every morning before school did it specifically for the purpose of protecting themselves and others, and would have, at the drop of a hat shot and killed anyone who started a shooting rampage. Instead of 33 dead there would have been 1 or two at the most.

It is not the 9mm's that killed the people in Virginia, it is not the Chains that killed the people in Virginia, it is not the BackPacks that concealed the weapons 0r the shoes that the guy was wearing. It was a lost young man that killed these productive learning people of our society; who unfortunately couldn't protect themselves because they simply did not have that option....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your point. However I think that those guys that take guns to school are a little crazy themselves but I think that the students in Virginia would have appreciated a few gun nuts in the classroom.

Dave Riddle said...

I think that we are all a little nuts. But I think that we sometimes need the good nutts to balance out the bad nutts.