Thursday, June 7, 2007

Passing the Buck

Riddle's Dictionary defines passing the buck as: To be so afraid that others will realize your lack of qualifications and inability to perform a job that you are willing to offer up your friends, co-workers, employees and collegues to avoid realization of your complete in-ability to perform expected functions.

As I have ventured out of college and into the professional field I have noticed a sickening trend and that trend is passing the buck. I have never seen passing the buck so prevailent as it is right now. I noticed this disturbing trend while working for a large oil company. I will not name it because I don't want to let anyone down. Our love for big oil is evident by the fact that we are willing to pay $3.50 a gallon for gasoline . I saw more people that were trying so hard to climb the corporate ladder that they were willing to risk their integrity and friendships just to eliminate the possiblity of looking capable of making mistakes. What a waste. What ever happened to CAJONES? Why not admit your mistake and learn from it? I have seen people at the top of the corporate ladder so entangled with their own pride that they would rather pass the buck and loose the respect of their employees than to look under-qualified to their corporate equals.

I respect a man more for taking the buck and admitting his mistakes than the man that passes the buck to acquire a higher position. I think every one does. Am I wrong? Have we gotten so caught up in ourselves that we as a society think higher of cowards that do not make mistakes than of men that have the balls (sorry that's the best word I can think of) to take the buck themselves and show a little imperfection?

I will say that I have seen underqualified individuals rise to the top with deception and the help of strong buck passing skills but I have never seen one of these people last very long.

Respect is a tough thing to earn and an easy thing to loose.

To the Quarterbacks of the corporate buck game your sack will come.

To the Wide Recievers and the runnings backs that are catching the bucks, you will be the one that makes the touchdowns and you will know it. Be proud of it.

I don't know about you, but I love a running Quarterback.

.

No comments: