Friday, September 14, 2007

A little Superstitious

When I lived in Cedar City, I rented a house from a friend of mine, his name was Bud. The longer I rented from him the better friends we became. Bud was and is probably one of the nicest guys I know. He was just a good person. Bud was about 65 at the time, and he and I would spend hours just talking. I didn't do a lot of talking (which is hard to believe), with Bud I did a lot of listening. Bud was a good enough person that I found myself wanting to be a good person the more I was around him. Bud at one time was my principal, and on one occasion, I got into some trouble and was sent to his office and instead of getting mad at me he pulled out his guitar and sang to me. That was just the kind of man he was. One day Bud and I were driving out to his farm to build some shelves and he told me something. He said: "Dave, in all the years that I have been driving this route to the farm I've noticed something. I have noticed that I can generally judge how my day is going to be, by the stoplights." I looked at him with a smirk and said: "Come on, I didn't know you were superstitious". He said:"no, I'm not superstitious but in the last 40 or so years, I have noticed that if when I come to the intersections, if the stoplights are all green as I pass, I usually tend to have a better day. If the stoplights are red when I get there, I usually have a bad day. If I get a mixture, I usually have an average day." I kind of laughed it off.
I thought it was funny, there was Bud, a religious man, but superstitious. I didn't think you could mix and match them. It has given me something to think about.
Now that I am kind of getting into a routine, I have found my own superstition. I guess it sounds dumb but I am starting to believe it. I have found that in the morning If I see a deer I usually have a good day, if I see a buck I have a better day, and If I see a big buck I have an excellent day. If, on the way to the gym in the morning, there is a train in the intersection I usually have a bad day. If I am stopped for a long time, it is a really bad day, if I am stopped for a short period of time it is a so so day. I know that sounds nuts but I am a believer. Take for instance today. As I drove up my lane I saw no deer. As I drove into town sure enough it was the train. Luckily I only had to wait for about 30 seconds, so I knew the day would be so so. Probably not good but not bad either. Well today has been that way. My day started off with some old guy taking my towel at the YMCA shower and leaving me with a dishrag that who knows where had been. No big deal, I made it through it. Work has been so so, my high dollar computer crashed once, and I lost a design that I was working on. No big deal, I redid it. I went home for lunch, got busy playing with my little boy that I took a little longer than needed so in my hurry to get back to work, I pass a Wyoming Highway Patrolman who of course pulls me over. I have no licence with me and no seat belt on, luckily I found my proof of insurance. Well, he is a little hot under the collar, so I start pulling out my bag of "get out of a ticket" tricks. He goes back into his SUV, comes out a little later. Says "well our system is down so I can't check your driving record. I will let you off with a warning. " I told him that if he didn't have a night stick and a can of mace I would give him a hug. He kind of laughed and let me on my way. So, bad luck that I got pulled over, not so bad that I talked my way out of a ticket. I got back to work, and one of the bosses called and asked me to do something for him on the weekend. Bad luck because Now I gotta do something on the weekend. Not so bad because I found out that I was a week ahead on a design that I thought was due on Monday.
Well, just a random thought. Try it for yourselves, I wasn't a believer but now I kind of am. I do think that sometimes we make our own luck but I also believe that sometimes we are going to get what we have coming.

1 comment:

MiandMiksmom said...

I love it, and I am going to post on this...more to come!